[POLL] Changes in combat

Discussions about the server script changes.

What things do you want to get changed?

Make air support like it used to be
18%
Make movement like it used to be (strafing fast and running while being shot etc.)
25%
Make guns like they used to be (some guns did nice amounts of damage which were actually fun to use)
15%
Make snipers more useful (only 2 hits needed for a kill and no impossible sway)
18%
Remove grappling hook
14%
I'm fine with every nerf and change
8%
something else (pls comment down then)
2%

Total votes : 65

[POLL] Changes in combat

Postby Ben Vizla » 08 Sep 2018, 00:29

Keeri: stop being immature and suggest shit instead of ranting niBBa

me: ok :frown: *pretty offended but he knows keeri is right*

Sooooooooo that's why I'm making dis

I feel like I shouldn't straight up suggest what I think would be best for the server, I wanna hear other's opinions on certain things about combat before making a suggestion because I honestly have no clue what people nowadays think about combat. I bet nothing is gonna change just because what I think about stuff but if the whole community can say what they want about this kind of stuff it might actually do something and possibly make the server more enjoyable. If you have something that you would like to get changed in combat feel free to reply on this post and I can add it to the poll.
Last edited by Ben Vizla on 08 Sep 2018, 23:46, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Vizla
IV

Character: Ben Harrell

Re: [POLL] Changes in combat

Postby keeri » 08 Sep 2018, 00:47

toggled p.2 but that pretty much leaves combat to dirty tricks, i really don't know if that's worth it
keeri
D

Character: Chase Kraino

Postby fyrix » 08 Sep 2018, 01:16

GIVE US THE ROLL ANIMATION

x2 Hitman // x1 Chief // x1 Major // x1 Avenger // x1 Ghost
The Man, the Myth, the Legend.
fyrix
5RP
=

Character: Dante Knox

Postby Ben Vizla » 08 Sep 2018, 01:19

• Marked as unhelpful
Fyrix wrote:GIVE US THE ROLL ANIMATION

i like your profile picture sir
Ben Vizla
IV

Postby efe petrikov » 08 Sep 2018, 02:07

I agree that the old combat system was better in most ways, and that's not nostalgia since I think the server has improved generally overall from what it was before. The combat now is more clunky, number based and less strategic than before (even if it is less open to exploits).

Take the cooldown on state switches as an example, this did patch up exploits but at the cost of making the whole combat and driving system clunkier, less smooth and less responsive. It might have just been better to leave it how it was and deal with those abusing it through the complaints subforum.

Good movement separated good players from the great and it took a long time to learn how to maintain complete accuracy while rapidly moving directions, now you can barely move and swap directions at all while firing. I'm sure there was a good reason to add the change, but it ended up removing a whole element of skill from combat while also making it feel a lot less smooth and fluid.

Weapon damages got lowered and the TTK became a lot longer, and it's understandable why this was changed. Yet it made the guns feel weak, the combat got more awkward and air support more overpowered. Since pells go a lot faster than before and mobile spawns are a thing now it doesn't make a lot of sense to have such low player-to-player damage.

Grapple hooks make it too easy to bridge a distance gap and remove the need for tactics and positioning, it's difficult to contest something from long range with a Sniper if the enemies can get to you in only a few seconds, tagging them so they can't grapple isn't always possible either. (Maybe they could be disabled within a certain radius of missions and caps rather than flat out removing them)

Inaccuracy damage decrease after dropping from a plane makes it difficult to contest missions, especially MVs since you have to get close immediately, as the defending faction have an inbuilt advantage.

Et cetera.

Overall I think that the combat and movement system of yesteryear is a lot better than the one that exists today. The onus for the changes that got implemented are totally understandable and in good will but they ended up making the game combat on the server feel stilted, clumsy and unresponsive. The combat on RLS felt completely unique before and unlike any other game; the fighting was fast and accuracy was important but so was logical thinking and being able to improvise. It had a higher skill ceiling and really rewarded players who put time into mastering the game.

- jr
Never forget:

efe petrikov
IV

Character: Efe Qew Petrikov

Postby NeoSacratif » 08 Sep 2018, 21:51

Among suggested variants the only thing I disagree with is p3. I find current system, which makes all guns kinda useful, better than previous where there were definite favourites (AR, SO). But as much as I dislike weapon disbalance, I can admit that sometimes previous system worked. Perhaps additional work with guns should be done.
Regarding every else suggestion - I am fully agree with reverting AS update, returning old combat system and making Sniper Rifles more deadly. May be not 2 shot - tho it was actually fine for me - but deadly and handy to use enough to make sniping fun again.
Also, I want to state one thing. Grapple hook's lack was a feature of RLS for more than 2 years - and with returning it things got a bit messy. For me it's better to have some people stranged in woods than allowing everyone to fly like spider man across panau. That may sound radical, but I [tip=Don't crucify me pls]suggest to remove Grapple Hook at all[/tip].
"Wait for me to log in once in a month to just chill for a few hours (which is what the server is for)" - keeri, 2017
NeoSacratif
5RP
IV

Character: Alexey Ivanov

Postby Ben Vizla » 08 Sep 2018, 23:48

NeoSacratif wrote:Among suggested variants the only thing I disagree with is p3. I find current system, which makes all guns kinda useful, better than previous where there were definite favourites (AR, SO). But as much as I dislike weapon disbalance, I can admit that sometimes previous system worked. Perhaps additional work with guns should be done.
Regarding every else suggestion - I am fully agree with reverting AS update, returning old combat system and making Sniper Rifles more deadly. May be not 2 shot - tho it was actually fine for me - but deadly and handy to use enough to make sniping fun again.
Also, I want to state one thing. Grapple hook's lack was a feature of RLS for more than 2 years - and with returning it things got a bit messy. For me it's better to have some people stranged in woods than allowing everyone to fly like spider man across panau. That may sound radical, but I [tip=Don't crucify me pls]suggest to remove Grapple Hook at all[/tip].

Added that grappling hook thing in the poll and I agree with what you said, it should be removed. It makes everything too easy.

There went all the poll answers when I edited it btw, rest in peace, dont think that keeri really cares about it anyway
Ben Vizla
IV

Postby Levander Gale » 11 Sep 2018, 17:32

I'm not gonna lie, the "new" combat system which isn't so new anymore, where u move slow cant run cant jump etc was the reason I stopped playing entirely, and I ended up trying to find fun in trolling and flaming back a few years ago when it was first implemented. I do partly blame this update for my ban as well, but that's another cup of tea.

I tried coming back to the server after getting unbanned, but I just realised every time I logged on and played 5/10 minutes, I just can't play this game this way, and I logout disappointed.

To sum it up, each to their own, but at least I won't be playing this server with this combat, I just won't, I got better things to do, than not having fun.

"nobody asked you to play the server yadayada yea fuck off" yea whatever
Alexov Gorbajovski, Levan Gale, Charles Noxton, Henry Squid.
Long ago, four Swedes ruled RLS together, but then everything changed when the syd/östsclavus mafian attacked.
Only Dante Knox master of all Pilot ego battles, could stop them.
Levander Gale
=

Character: Levan Gale

Postby ACuteKittenP » 11 Sep 2018, 21:43

Levander Gale wrote:I'm not gonna lie, the "new" combat system which isn't so new anymore, where u move slow cant run cant jump etc was the reason I stopped playing entirely, and I ended up trying to find fun in trolling and flaming back a few years ago when it was first implemented. I do partly blame this update for my ban as well, but that's another cup of tea.

I tried coming back to the server after getting unbanned, but I just realised every time I logged on and played 5/10 minutes, I just can't play this game this way, and I logout disappointed.

To sum it up, each to their own, but at least I won't be playing this server with this combat, I just won't, I got better things to do, than not having fun.

"nobody asked you to play the server yadayada yea fuck off" yea whatever

This:
https://trello.com/c/oRzVrEpE/945-playe ... t-overhaul

ACuteKittenP
35RP
=

Character: Glynn Ogofgoch Casteris

Postby Levander Gale » 12 Sep 2018, 15:38

I never liked solving riddles, so what's "this" overhaul?
Back to the old system?
Long ago, four Swedes ruled RLS together, but then everything changed when the syd/östsclavus mafian attacked.
Levander Gale
=

Postby Fero Londo » 12 Sep 2018, 16:18

Levander Gale wrote:

I never liked solving riddles, so what's "this" overhaul?
Back to the old system?

No jumping restriction, movement doesn't get slowed down when shooting, you can roll with Q with a decent delay.
Characters:
Andre Ferzi.
Fero Londo

Picture made by Dexter Moser
Picture 2 Another amazing picture by Dexter Moser!
And whoever is offended by this can go fuck themselves.
Fero Londo
V

Character: Fero Londo

Postby Levander Gale » 13 Sep 2018, 05:25

Fero Londo wrote:No jumping restriction, movement doesn't get slowed down when shooting, you can roll with Q with a decent delay.

Nice, gotta try it out in that case, good shit praise the lord, now i just gotta figure out how to get all the spam off my interface
Levander Gale
=

Postby krpajda » 13 Sep 2018, 18:16

I dont think it would take a major rework to make this really good. Some guns could use a bit less auto aim, especially under sustained fire (i believe making autoaim go away over time as you spray would be a good idea), but other than that, once you get used to the fact that you can't sprint and look around quickly at once, it is really fun.
tech-thug-general-mechanic-president-officer-tech-firefighter-private-politician-courier-secretary-sergeant

Cube the sphere
Wipe off the dust from your eyes
Burn your lies
krpajda
=

Character: Elisabeth Murosson

Return to Server Discussion